Lead Paint – Kidney Damage
Written by Andrew Sarski on March 1, 2011
Kidney Damage Described
Damage to the kidneys may affect the blood vessels that supply or drain the organs, resulting in a number of serious complications. Acute symptoms of kidney damage include abdominal pain, blood in the urine, drowsiness, fever, nausea, vomiting, and increased heart rate. Chronic symptoms of kidney damage may include irritability, constipation and weight loss. Depending on the severity of the damage, the kidneys may return to normal function or the child may suffer from acute or chronic kidney failure.
Lead Paint and Kidney Damage in Children
According to a 2010 study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine, small amounts of lead in the systems of otherwise healthy children may affect kidney function. In 1991, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention determined that 10 micrograms of lead per deciliter of blood presented a significant health risk, an amount which is substantially less than the original level, which was 30 micrograms per deciliter. However, this 2010 study has suggested that even levels below 10 micrograms may cause health problems for children, providing the first evidence that even small levels of lead in the body may impair kidney function. Despite the elimination of lead from paint, most Americans still have levels of lead in their blood, and even small lead levels in healthy children may cause major kidney damage in the future. Although the official level of concern for lead is 10 micrograms per deciliter of blood, according to the CDC, children with levels as low as 2.9 micrograms per deciliter of blood experienced slower kidney function.
According to research, when a child is exposed to lead paint, the heavy metal enters the bloodstream and eventually enters the cells of vital organs like the brain and kidneys. The lead interferes with the enzymes these organs need to function properly, leading to inhibited organ function and kidney damage.
In the past, lead-based paint was believed to dry faster, last longer, and resist moisture, and so the paint was used in the construction of many houses before it was banned by the U.S. CPSC. Unfortunately, experts are now aware of the dangers associated with lead-contaminated paint, which may remain in older buildings and homes constructed, renovated or repaired before the use of lead paint was banned in 1977. Many people believe that exposure to lead paint only affects children who actually eat the lead paint chips. However, children and adults alike can suffer from devastating complications resulting from simply breathing in lead-contaminated dust, which may be disturbed during renovations or repairs.
Lead Paint Kidney Damage Legal Help
Approximately 26 million people suffer from chronic kidney damage in the United States alone, and children who are exposed to lead paint may have a significantly increased risk of developing kidney damage, which may lead to chronic kidney failure in the future. Victims of kidney damage resulting from exposure to lead paint are not at fault and may be entitled to reimbursement for their injuries. If you or a loved one has experienced kidney damage and you believe lead paint to be the cause, contact a defective product attorney to discuss the benefits of filing a defective product lawsuit. A number of defective product lawsuits have already been filed by individuals who have suffered serious injuries resulting from exposure to lead paint. In some cases, families and young children were exposed to lead paint in their homes for years even though they were told by the property owners that the building was lead paint-free. With the help of a defective product lawyer, victims of lead paint exposure can develop a successful case and collect the compensation they deserve.