Monster Wrongful Death Suit
Written by Faith Anderson on July 1, 2013
Heart Problems Linked to Monster Energy Drinks
Just last year, the family of 14-year-old Anais Fournier of Maryland sued Monster Beverage Corp. after the teen consumed two 24-ounce cans of the firm’s popular energy drink and died. An autopsy determined that Fournier’s death was caused by cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity that inhibited her heart’s ability to pump blood. In Alex Morris’ case, the 19-year-old was described as a “habitual” consumer of Monster Energy beverages, drinking at least two cans of the product each day over the three years leading up to his death. The teen’s family has reported that Morris died from cardiac arrhythmia due to cardiomyopathy, which involves the deterioration of the heart.
Monster Maker Accused of Failure to Warn
According to allegations raised in the most recent Monster wrongful death suit, the maker of the energy drink failed to provide adequate warnings about the dangerous levels of caffeine contained in the beverages, and how the products can be deadly when consumed by young people and those with pre-existing health conditions. Both Morris’ and Fournier’s lawsuits raise similar allegations about the potential side effects of Monster Energy drinks, including claims that the highly-caffeinated beverages are aggressively marketed to teens and young adults, who are particularly susceptible to heart problems related to caffeine overdose. Monster Beverager Corp. also faces an ongoing lawsuit that accuses the company of violating California law by marketing the products to children as young as six years of age, despite scientific evidence indicating that the energy drinks may lead to high blood pressure, heart problems and seizures.
Adverse Effects of Caffeine Overdose
Serious concerns have been raised in recent years about the effects of highly-caffeinated energy drinks, and a number of educational institutions have even gone so far as to ban the products in light of these safety risks. In December 2012, the American Academy of Pediatrics warned that children should not consume any energy drinks, as the risks associated with caffeine overdose may be especially harmful for kids. Along the same vein, experts have reported that children should not consume more than 100 mg of caffeine in a day. Monster Energy drinks and similar products typically contain two to three times that amount of caffeine in each can. In addition to heart problems and high blood pressure, caffeinated energy drinks have also been linked to complications like sleep disturbances, diuresis and hyperglycemia.
Contact an Experienced Attorney to File a Claim
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is currently investigating the risks associated with Monster and other energy drinks, following numerous adverse events reported in recent years that have linked the caffeinated beverages to serious injuries and deaths. According to data reported by federal regulators last year, at least 37 adverse event reports have been received by the FDA involving health problems related to Monster energy drinks since 2004, including at least six deaths. If you believe you have been harmed by a potentially dangerous consumer product, or if you lost a loved one to an alleged product side effect, our consumer advocates at the Consumer Justice Foundation can put you in touch with a lawyer who has experience handling product liability cases in your area. With a qualified attorney on your side, you can seek fair and timely reimbursement for your losses and protect yourself and your family from further harm.